Sunday, September 23, 2012

Knowing the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution

Flyer that my Intro to Photojournalism class posted on campus
last week at Owens to celebrate our freedoms.

   Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
   I am pretty sure I have never read the First Amendment in its entirety before taking this Intro to Photojournalism class.
   I was shocked to learn what is and is not included and protected in the First Amendment. I erroneously believed the right to bare arms was a First Amendment right, as did others in my class.
   The 5 rights protected by the First Amendment are separation of church and state, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, right to assemble, and the right to petition.
   The most important of these to a photojournalist is the freedom of the press. It allows for all aspects of all newsworthy situations to be reported. Thus giving people all the information they need to make informed decisions on their own. Knowledge is power, and knowing my rights has made me a better citizen and hopefully a better photojournalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment